How can graphite replace copper as an electrode? Shared by High mechanical strength Graphite Electrode China.
In the 1960s, copper was widely used as the electrode material, with the utilization rate accounting for about 90% and graphite only about 10%. In the 21st century, more and more users began to choose graphite as the electrode material. In Europe, more than 90% of the electrode material is graphite. Copper, once the dominant electrode material, has almost lost its edge over graphite. What caused this dramatic change? Of course, there are many advantages of graphite electrode.
(1) faster processing speed: in general, the mechanical processing speed of Graphite Electrode for sale can be 2~5 times faster than that of copper; However, the edm is 2~3 times faster than copper, and the material is less prone to deformation. The softening point of copper is about 1000 degrees, and it is easy to be deformed by heat. Graphite sublimation temperature of 3650 degrees; The coefficient of thermal expansion is only 1/30 of copper.
(2) lighter weight: the density of graphite is only 1/5 of that of copper, which can effectively reduce the burden of machine tool (EDM) when large electrodes are processed by discharge; More suitable for the application of large mold.
High Mechanical Strength Graphite Electrode China
(3) discharge consumption is smaller; Since the spark oil also contains C atoms, during discharge processing, high temperature causes the C atoms in the spark oil to be decomposed, which in turn forms a protective film on the surface of the graphite electrode, compensating for the loss of the graphite electrode.
(4) no burrs; After the copper electrode is processed, it needs to be trimmed manually to remove burrs, while the graphite is processed by the Graphite Electrode factory without burrs, which saves a lot of costs and makes it easier to automate production
(5) graphite is easier to grind and polish; Since graphite has only a fifth of the cutting resistance of copper, it is easier to grind and polish by hand
(6) lower material cost and more stable price; Due to the rise of copper price in recent years, the price of isotropic graphite is lower than that of copper. Under the same volume, the price of general graphite products of toyo carbon is 30% ~ 60% lower than that of copper, and the price is more stable, the short-term price fluctuation is very small.
Because of this incomparable advantage, graphite has gradually replaced copper as the preferred material for EDM electrode.